The purpose of the Accounting Operations training program is to prepare students for employment as accounting clerks, bookkeepers, and payroll clerks as well as to provide supplemental training for persons previously or currently employed in these occupational areas.
Accountants analyze, record and interpret facts and figures. A successful accounting career demands diverse skills and high ethical standards. In addition to accounting and software knowledge, employees must have skills in communications, organization, adaptability, and problem solving.
- Basic computers, Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint, time management, goals and Florida Ready to Work credential;
- Business communications;
- Double-entry accounting principles;
- Methods of recording business transactions;
- Preparation/analysis of financial statements;
- Payroll transactions, records, and tax forms;
- Account and transaction analysis;
- Inventory methods;
- Depreciation methods and calculations;
- The application of accounting principles to service and merchandising businesses;
- Accounting for sole proprietorships, partnerships, & corporations;
- MOS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint;
- QuickBooks Accounting Software;
- Employability Skills;
This program is offered full time (day classes only), and part time (evening classes only). The length is 9 months full time or 14 months part time (900 hours).
Upon completion of the program and meeting eligibility requirements and industry certifications, students may be awarded credits toward an Associates Degree in Business Administration or Accounting by the State College of Florida. Students must enroll in SCF within 2 years of completing the program at Suncoast.
Industry Certification & State Credential Exams:
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS)
- QuickBooks Certified User
Obtainment Time Frame: In program
The required basic skills grade levels are Reading-10, Math-10, & Language-10 and must be met prior to program completion.
For specific occupation information, including wages, employment trends and more, visit the following links:
Computer User Support Specialist
Bookkeeping, Accounting & Auditing Clerk
For other O*Net Online information, please visit:
Course Campus Location(s):
Sarasota & North Port
Info Tech Assistant