Fire Fighter / EMT
The Firefighter portion of this program prepares students for entry-level Firefighter positions in fire service. Introduction to Fire Science is a required course to obtain certification as a Florida State Firefighter. Students may apply for direct admission and must meet all entrance requirements.
The Firefighter I & II (Minimum Standards) State Certification course for firefighters is a mentally, physically, and emotionally challenging program that includes extensive classroom and practical elements.
The program meets requirements for certification as a firefighter set forth by the Bureau of Fire Standards and Training. Included in the Firefighter I & II program is the written and practical portions of the State Firefighter I & II Certification Examination.
*NOTE: This is a COMBINED program. Please refer to the Emergency Medical Technician–ATD brochure for information regarding the EMT portion of the program.
Firefighter Admissions Required Forms:
- Form DFS-K4-1016
- Fingerprint Processing
- Application Timetable: July 7, 2018 class
- Tobacco Affidavit
- Physical Agility Prep Release Form
- Physical Agility Test Release Form
- Form DFS-K4-1022 (*Required before taking the Agility Test – IMPORTANT – Print both pages. Document is invalid without both pages. Doctor MUST sign both pages.)
- Physical Ability Evaluation Candidate Orientation Guide
This program offers both day and evening classes. It is approximately 4.5 months in length (398 hours), not including the EMT portion.
*The entire Program (FF/EMT) length is 698 hours.
Industry Certification & State Credential Exams:
- Fire Fighter II
- Emergency Medical Technician
Obtainment Time Frame: Within 2 years of program completion
The required basic skills grade levels are Reading-10, Math-10 and Language-10 and must be met prior to program completion or a Florida High School Graduate after 2007 is assessed through the TABE. (Test of Adult Basic Education).
Applicants must also:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Provide proof of medical/physical examination, including an electrocardiogram (EKG) before the required Physical Agility Test
- Complete a fingerprint & criminal background check
- Be in excellent physical condition to participate in strenuous physical activity in hostile environments without restrictions
- Pass the Suncoast Fire Science Academy Physical Agility Test
- Take the TABE test prior to the Mandatory Meeting
For specific occupation information, including wages, employment trends and more, visit the following links:
Emergency Medical Techs & Paramedics
Healthcare Support Workers, All Other
For other O*Net Online information, please visit:
Course Campus Location(s):
Sarasota and Fire Science Academy Extension
|FFP0010||Fire Fighter 1||206 hrs|
|B||FFP0020||Fire Fighter 2||192 hrs|
|C||EMS0110||Emergency Medical Technician - ATD||300 hrs|