Firefighter Admissions Required Forms:
- Form DFS-K4-1016
- Fingerprint Processing
- Application Timetable: January 5, 2021
- Application Timetable: February 8, 2021
- Tobacco Affidavit
- Physical Agility Prep Release Form
- Physical Agility Test Release Form
- Form DFS-K4-1022 (*Required before taking the Agility Test – IMPORTANT – Print both pages. Document is invalid without both pages. Doctor MUST sign both pages.)
- Physical Ability Evaluation Candidate Orientation Guide
The Firefighter Program prepares students for entry-level firefighter positions in fire service. Introduction to Fire Science is a required course to obtain certification as a Florida State Firefighter. Students may apply for direct admission and must meet all entrance requirements.
The Firefighter (Minimum Standards) State Certification course for firefighters is a mentally, physically, and emotionally challenging program that includes extensive classroom and practical elements.
The program meets requirements for certification as a firefighter set forth by the Bureau of Fire Standards and Training. Included in the Firefighter program is the written and practical portions of the State Firefighter Certification Examination.
ADVANCED PROGRAMS vary in contact hours and/or credit hours. Advanced programs leading to Fire Officer I, special certification may be transferable to an Associates Degree (including but not limited to) those listed below.
Medical First Responder is offered as a Continuing Education Course which is taken through our Continuing Education Department and offered during the Fire Program. This class is required for state testing and must be completed prior to completion and testing within the program.
The Firefighter Program is 492 hours in length.
Industry Certifications/State Credentials:
- Florida Firefighter Certificate of Compliance
The required basic skills grade levels for the Firefighter Program are Reading-10, Math-10 and Language-10 and must be met prior to program completion or a FL High School Graduate after 2007 is assessed through the TABE.
Applicants must also:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Provide proof of medical/physical examination, including an electrocardiogram (EKG) before the required Physical Agility Test.
- Complete a fingerprint & criminal background check.
- Be in excellent physical condition to participate in strenuous physical activity in hostile environments without restrictions.
- Pass the Suncoast Fire Science Academy Physical Agility Test.
- Take the TABE prior to the Mandatory Meeting.
For specific occupation information, including wages, employment trends and more, visit the following links:
For other O*Net Online information, please visit:
Course Campus Location(s):
Sarasota and Fire Science Academy Extension
|FFP0030||Firefighter I||191 hrs|
|B||FFP0031||Firefighter II||301 hrs|