Nursing Assistant (LTC)
This non-matriculated, state-approved program prepares students primarily for employment as nursing assistants in nursing homes, although other employment options are available. Successful completion of this program prepares students to take the State of Florida Nursing Assistant Examination for certification in accordance with Chapter 82-163, FL Statutes.
This program takes approximately 1 month (120 hours) to complete and includes 40 hours of clinical time at a licensed nursing home. Classes are offered daytime only. Call Student Services at (941) 924-1365 x62283 for current course offering.
Industry Certifications/State Credentials:
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Certificate
Obtainment Time Frame: Within 1 year of program completion
A high school diploma and the pre-assessment (Wonderlic) are not required for the Nursing Assistant program.
Applicants must have:
- Completed Health Science Application
- A physical exam documenting the absence of lifting restrictions within the past year
Suncoast conducts background checks on applicants for all Health Science/EMS programs in accordance with the requirements set by affiliation agreements, licensing agencies, and state statutes. Restrictions on admission to programs include, but are not limited to, the following.
1. Chemically Impaired―requires one full year of documented stability prior to admission.
2. Emotional/Mental Illness―requires one full year of documented stability prior to admission.
3. Arrests―Applicants who have been convicted of, or who have pleaded nolo contendere, for arson, assault, robbery, armed burglary, kidnapping, attempted murder, murder, manslaughter, repeated drug or alcohol offenses, or who have repeated misdemeanor offenses will be denied admission to Health Science/EMS programs. Applicants who have been arrested and convicted of or who have plead nolo contendere to offenses other than those stated above will be denied admission for one full year after the completion of all court ordered requirements. Applicants must be prepared to present documentation of satisfaction of all court mandates and document one year of satisfactory work history after completion of court ordered requirements. Regulatory agencies and local employers may have more stringent requirements for employment or for attendance for clinical rotations.
4. Health Risks―Determining that an applicant’s career choice will not be a detriment to his/her own health (or the safety of patients/clients), applicants may be required to provide documentation that is above and beyond medications and physical conditions identified on their physical exam questionnaire and exam report. All programs require documentation of the absence of lifting restrictions.
PLEASE NOTE: Information sessions are held regularly to answer any questions about the application process. Contact Student Services at (941) 924-1365 x62283 to make an appointment.
All applications must be submitted by the application deadline in order to be considered for the program of choice. Applicants are only eligible for selection into a program if all required elements are complete and on file. No application will be considered for selection if elements are missing or incomplete. Call (941) 924-1365 x62283 for current program application deadlines.
For specific occupation information, including wages, employment trends and more, visit the following links:
For other O*Net Online information, please visit:
Course Campus Location(s):
Sarasota and Alta Vista
|PRN0090||Nurse Aide & Orderly||120 hrs|